To register for the conference go to: https://usaouttraining.org/UtahHeroinOpioidSummit
We are pleased to announce that the first Utah Heroin and Opioid Summit will be held September 28-29, 2016, at the Sheraton Hotel in Salt Lake City (150 West 500 South). The Summit is for law enforcement and health care professionals, as well as policy makers, educators, and interested members of the public.
The conference is sponsored by the United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Utah, Utah Department of Health, Utah Division of Substance Abuse and Mental Health, Rocky Mountain HIDTA, the Drug Enforcement Administration, Utah Chiefs of Police, Utah Sheriff’s Association, Utah Coalition for Opioid Overdose Prevention, Use Only as Directed, and the Utah Council for Crime Prevention and Health.
One goal for the Summit is to cross-educate the law enforcement and health care communities to effectively address the increased death and crime associated with the heroin and opioid epidemic in our state.
Among the featured topics:
- Keynote speech by Sam Quinones, author of Dreamland: The True Tale of America’s Opiate Epidemic.
- A panel discussion moderated by Doug Fabrizio, Host and Executive Producer of KUER’s Radio West.
- Research results from Rocky Mountain HIDTA’s Heroin Working Group Project, which is collecting demographic information about heroin users, evaluating the relationships between law enforcement and treatment providers, and developing a strategic plan for Colorado based on best practices.
- A presentation by the pioneers of Seattle’s Law Enforcement Assisted Diversion Program (LEAD), a pre-booking diversion program for heroin users that focuses on treatment, not incarceration, to address that city’s drug abuse problem.
- A screening of Chasing the Dragon, a documentary that features stark first-person accounts of the most common outcomes of heroin and opioid addiction: recovery, incarceration, and death.
- An evening panel discussion for families and individuals struggling with addiction that addresses Naloxone, medically-assisted treatment, and residential and out-patient treatment options.
- An overview of current law enforcement and health care developments and trends related to heroin and opioids.
- Breakout sessions:
- Medically Assisted Treatment: Possibilities and Challenges
- Naloxone 101
- Lessons from the Field: Opioid Investigations and Prosecutions
- Attitudes: What we know about health care, law enforcement, and public awareness
- Inspirational speech by Alema Harringon, television and radio host of Jazz Game Night and BYUtv about his personal struggle with opioid addiction following his football career at Brigham Young University.
- Overview of the strategic plan developed by the Utah Coalition for Opioid Overdose Prevention to address the opioid crisis in Utah.